DEAKIN University public relations student Jake Sparshott shares his top tips for new PR students.
I’LL be honest. Starting off my first year of studying Public Relations I had no idea what I was doing. So to help lessen that feeling for other students, here are my top 5 tips for first year PR students.
- Forget what you think PR is. The field of PR is vast. Coming in with an open mind will allow you to find the perfect niche for you.
- Less is more. Don’t convolute your writing with “fluff”. Stick to the point and your writing will become much clearer.
- Use your tutors! This one is a biggie. Your tutors and lecturers are massive resources who are always willing to help out those that seek it. (Think of them like Hogwarts)
- Network. PR is all about networking. Get to know your fellow classmates; they will be the ones working alongside you in a few years!
- Sign up for activities outside of university (Such as theMediaPod dinners!). It will show that you’re keen to learn and also expose you to some great people within the industry.